It’s a scary number.
Only one more year until eighteen.
One more year until adulthood.
One more year until voting.
One more year until graduating.
One more year of being a child.
One more year of being…me.
But that’s not true, is it?
I’ll still be me.
I’ll be an older version of me.
Or will I?
Today, I turn seventeen.
The beginning of the end of a life I’ve always known.
I don’t want to leave.
But at the same time, I do.
I want to grow up.
But at the same time…I don’t.
I am excited…
And I am terrified.
But all my fretting and buzzing aside,
I have so much to be thankful for
In my seventeen years of life.
1. A mother and father who raised me and love me.
2. A brother and sisters who put up with me.
3. Grandparents who spoil me far too much.
4. Aunts and Uncles who give me crazy, but good, advice.
5. Cousins who never let family gatherings get boring.
6. A best friend who’s always been there, distance aside, since I was 2.
7. An array of other close friends, both near and far, who love me for me.
8. A home that is beautiful and safe.
9. A school that actually cares whether I succeed or fail.
10. A closet full of clothes and a bed to sleep in at night.
11. Eyes and ears with the power to see and hear both the good…and the bad.
12. A brain with the capacity to contain all sorts of crazy worlds and ideas.
13. Fingers with the ability to create music and artwork.
14. A healthy body that can attempt to go out and run everyday.
15. A world so beautiful and perfect, why would anyone want to go live on Mars?
16. A family who, though not related by blood, I can always count on: my church family.
17. A God who is my Father, Brother, and Friend all wrapped into one.
A small list, yes, I’ll admit that’s true.
It could go on and on if I wanted it too.
But for now, just these seventeen numbers will do.
Because sometimes you just have to stop and say, “Thank You.”
© February 28, 2015 | Sacramento, California